Monday, December 6, 2010

Lata answers controversies

What about your infamous rift with Mohd Rafi?
I'll tell you what happened. We had a Musicians' Association in the 1960s . Mukesh bhaiyya, Talaj Mehmood saab had started a campaign for artistes to get royalty so that they would have a comfortable old age. Main to leti thi royalty but I also wanted other artistes to get it. Rafi saab was instigated into opposing my campaign. In a meeting among musicians he said, 'We get money for what we sing from producers and that's the end of what we get.' When he was asked his opinion Rafi saab turned to Mukesh bhaiyya and said, 'I guess this Maharani here will say whatever has to be said.'

He meant you?
Yes. I said, 'Of course I am a Maharani. But why are you calling me that?' He said in front of everyone at the meeting that he won't sing with me. I turned around and said, 'Yeh kasht aap kyon kar rahe hain? Main hi nahin gaaongi aapke saath.' I stormed out of the meeting and called up every music director to inform them that I would thereafter not sing with Rafi saab. We didn't sing together for almost three years.

What about the alleged differences between you and your sister Asha Bhosle?
We're sisters. The fights were because of her husband who was against me.

Composers gave all the heroines' songs to you and all the supporting actresses' songs to Ashaji ...
Not always. What about so many films where only Asha sang all the songs? In fact OP Nayyarji worked only with her. Even some of Burman dada's scores had only Asha's vocals.

That's because you and SD Burman had a fight.
I didn't sing for him for 14 years. Someone had caused mischief. Burman dada said, "I won't have Lata sing my songs.' I said, 'I won't sing for you.' Asha sang all the songs for Burman dada during that period, even for Waheeda Rehman who insisted on me singing for her. Then one day out of the blue, Burman dada phoned me and said he wanted me to sing Mora gora rang lai le and Jogi jab se aaya tu aaya mere dware in Bandini. It was his son RD who brought us together. I remember Burman dada specifically told me that Mora gora rang was written by a promising new poet, Gulzar.

At one time you were accused of indulging in a melodious monopoly?
Once I was even asked if I tampered with the equipment during other singers' recordings. Bataiye main kyon aisa karun? I never bothered with what other singers were doing. When Runa Laila came to India for the first time, I went to her first recording and everybody said I was just indulging in dikhawa, that in fact I had gone to see how she sang. Runa Laila met me with lots of affection. Later she too was poisoned against me. Even some male singers accused me of trying to stop them from singing.

1 comment:

  1. just to ask you -
    how are you aware of all these stories. I am a big fan of Rafi Sahab. I read all your blogs. Nice content, but are these fakes or real.

    Unke (Rafi Sahab) bare mein aur kuch details mein bhi likhen. How was his life during 1970's. I heard some where that his voice went bad due to illnes. Are these true, please write more on the blog.

    ReplyDelete